PAGES

January 03, 2016

Hué: A world heritage site in Vietnam not to be missed



When Vietnam's war with the United States effectively ended in 1975, who would have imagined that the country would one day become a magnet for Western tourists? Yet that is exactly what is happening as more and more visitors discover the amazing cultural and natural attractions on offer, including eight world heritage sites. And every indication suggests that visitor numbers will only continue to increase, as government authorities tirelessly promote Vietnam as a tourism destination, both regionally within Asia and further afield in Western Europe.

While my own feelings about visiting Vietnam are a little conflicted - on the one hand I met many kind and welcoming people, yet on the other I felt I had to constantly on guard against rip-offs and scams - its history and heritage are second to none, of which Hué, the country's former capital under the Nguyen dynasty and world heritage site, is truly outstanding.


And clearly I'm not alone in thinking so: Hué ranked tenth in a recent survey of "top destinations on the rise in Asia" by TripAdvisor. Furthermore, the city reportedly welcomed more than 2 million visitors in 2015, an increase of 13 percent over the previous year.



Notwithstanding the on-again off-again rain during my visit in August 2011, the complex of administrative and imperial monuments at Hué took me the better part of a day to visit, and I left feeling I could have spent even longer.



Not only was the site remarkable for its layout, which was designed according to precepts of ancient oriental philosophy, but the state of preservation of the citadel walls, palaces and other buildings was impressive. That being said, excavation and restoration work is ongoing, and war damage is still very much in evidence, including shell craters and bullet-pocked walls.



Still, this doesn't detract from the site and I look forward to my next visit...

No comments:

Post a Comment