PAGES

October 27, 2015

Rio de Janeiro 40 years ago



Inspired at an early age by my parents' keen interest in photography and fortunate to have lived with them in the 1970s in what was undoubtedly one of the most welcoming neighbourhoods (Leme) in one of the most beautiful cities of the world (Rio de Janeiro), I put my Polaroid camera to good use. 

A world heritage site since 2012, Rio's Zona Sul contains a wealth of sights, sounds and people. The photos below were all taken in 1976.



Rio's Jardim Botânico (Botanical Gardens), established in 1808, offers a welcome escape from the city's bustle.



Taken from the window of our apartment, this photo features the Morro de Leme as well as the end of Leme beach. As a child I always wanted to climb to the top of the Morro, but sadly it was a military zone at the time and hence visitors were not welcome. 



One of Rio's most iconic attractions, Pão de Açúcar (Sugarloaf) was usually the first place my parents would take anyone visiting us from overseas. However, I never tired of the journey up and down the glass-walled cable cars...

No comments:

Post a Comment